Sunday 4 February 2018

Horus Heresy mini gameday

We had a small gaming day of Horus Heresy yesterday in our local Horus Heresy group "DirtyK"

I see now that I took far to few pictures of the mini event but will try to take more next time.

I could not attend until later in the afternoon but managed to play a game against Tobias Space wolves.
We would be playing 3000pts and the scenario we played was "Mission 2 - Onslaught" with the primary objectives of gaining one points for each enemy unit destroyed in the first turn and five points for capturing a special objective in the enemy deployment zone.

I would yet again field my Solar Auxilia and I wanted to try some new units out so I have pressganged some of my 40k Death Korps of Krieg equipment in this battle, seen in brown camouflage.
I wanted to try our the Stormlord with its transport 40 and Vulcan mega bolter with heavy 15 and ap3... And by taking a Tank Commander I could give it the Scout special rule and by that Outflank.
I would really really like to outflank a Stormlord packed with units in my opponents deployment zone...
And for that I had put the Lord Marshal Aleksandr of the House of Naryshkin in, his three exotic pet xeno beast (count as Ogryns), a unit of his personal guard with power axes and to tinker with super heavy from within but mostly to present the Lord Marshal with their latest findings of exotic insects or flora for hid collections I also included a unit of two Magus Biologus (count as Enginseers) with eight servo automatas.
This massive pimpmobile would act as the Lords Marschal Aleksandrs personal rolling fortress.
In the end I regrettable deployed the Stormlord on the table the first turn as one of the objectives were to destroy enemy units on the first turn and for this I would need the firepower.
My second press ganged Death Korps of Krieg vehicle would be a Plasma Russ, I think the heavy 3 plasma cannon will have some potential...


I won the roll for the first turn and our forces was set up.
And luckily my opponent Tobias failed to seize the initiative.

The onslaught begins...
My Infernus moves up and release its chemical torrent of flames... joining in with its autocannons and its multilaser... What was left of the 20man strong Space Wolf unit was just a handful of warriors.

The Sicarin was taken out by a aggressive Dracosan and the ruins where cleared out with the Plasma Russ and the Medusa. The Rapier Multilaser joins in and the massive Stormlord starts to spin up its Vulcan mega bolter...

Using their collimators the Lasrifle sections added range meant even more firepower. The well trained forces of the Solar Auxilia managed to land lots of hits, and marksmen that they were they managed to get something like 60% damages on 5+ dices to wound...
My opponent had far less luck with his armour save as seen on the picture above. Failing all but two of his 3+ saves...
The harsh fire drills and target practice enforced by Sergeant Valentina Tetsova really shined through.
 
After rolling his leadership rolls for the massive casualties sustained by the initial volley two units fled of the table, the few survivors of chemical burns from my Infernus and a elite unit of special Space Wolves with shields and axes that had taken massive casualties from all my bombardments this was all that was left...
A severely damaged unit of Gray Slayers(?), 3 Autocannon marines, 2 Contemptors and a Spartan with his Warlord and a unit of special elite terminators. Things did not look good for the Space Wolves.
I think I got something like six points for destroying enemy units in the first turn...




After taking a lot of damage that was mostly shrug of the heavy Spartan deployed its deadly cargo. The enemy Warlord and a unit of Terminators...
They charged straight in and inflicted massive casualties on the sorry Lasrifle section that was chosen as the target of doom...
Not even the Lasrifle sections Prime, Natailia Koychev could win against these belgian blue monsters... and a minus 15 on the roll of leadership on the few survivors was not a roll I managed to make...
Natailia ordered the unit to retreat, better to fight another day and make some room for the incoming retaliation fire that was to come...

The two Contemptors that had almost managed to take out my Infernus was engaged, one with fire power and one close and personal with the meltabomb from Lasrifle section Sergeant Seraphim Uvarov.
Both Contemptors was now down on their last hull points...

The Dracosan, the Plasma Russ and the Lasrifle section under Sergeant Valentina Tetsova had finished of the last enemy infantry on my left flank.


The Infernus moved around the corner of a ruin and as the Lord Marshal Alexandr descended from the Stormlord with his xeno pets and his personal retinue of guards he ordered the Infernus to spew forth its chemical cargo... Alexandr just wanted a clear view...
With continuing awful luck with my opponents armour saves I think all of the wounds hit home,  and the chemical burning warlord was then alone and was ordered to surrender, with lots of guns with bullets still in its chambers and Lord Marshal Alexandr of the House of Naryshkin with his xeno pets and honour guard ready to charge in it was all over...

A total victory for the House forces...

Wow what a game... I think I never have had this luck in an initial turn and I think I never have seen this bad rolls on cover, armour and invulnerable saves... This will never ever happen again so I better savour it.
A massive thanks to Tobias for the game and for continuing playing after that first volleys in the first turn.


A small thought on the Stormlord and the Plasma Russ I wanted to try out:
The Stormlord is a massive investment in points and with the main gun only being ap3 Im not to sure about it. Its got a massive transport capacity of 40 but it got a rule on the main gun that enable it to fire twice if it doesn't move. So you get a transport that wants to move forward to deploy the troops but a gun on it that makes you want to stay put.
If you plan to use it as a immobile fortress to keep its occupants safe for some time thats okey, but if you plan to actually move it then its bad.
My initial idea to outflank with it would have meant that it should have entered the table far to late to probably be worth its points.
My initial impression on it isnt that good and I think I could have done much more with any other of the Baneblade chassis. I dont think I will include it again.
I would love to hear other peoples thought about it.

The Plasma Russ did far better for its points, and this is a tank that I can really see my self using in the future.


Oh and here is a small bonus... I borrowed the turret from my friends Sicaran and but it on my Leman Russ chassi...
Damn... this would make for one sexy beast... Could someone please talk to Forgeworld and tell them to make this option a legal choice...






As this was a small event there were other 30k players gaming and even through I could only attend later in the afternoon I have managed to get a few more pictures. Enjoy and thanks for stopping by.
(click on the images for bigger pictures)






















No comments:

Post a Comment